Monday, August 31, 2009

The River

her elbows
carried me like Moses
to a mothers arms
safely holding my head
in nurturing waves

she split with graceful acrobatics
and i followed her shape
walking her rapids like a trapeze
meeting every forward step with caution
my eyes tight praying for balance
and she watched me from beneath
as i stretched my lungs
to catch my breath
filling up on her frigid sigh

"I've always been afraid" she said
knowing grace not bravery
her merciful waters washed my feet
and i called to her shores for commitment
floating over the edge of every map I'd known
into the distant and unfamiliar i called
for the exploration of territories untouched
a cast away to the unknown
beckoning for her youth a beauty to keep me
pleading for her unbridled passion

i am just a boy
and she is like the river

p.farris

No comments:

Post a Comment