Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Accidentals

your chattering teeth was my rhythm
and your attempt at smiling my groove
your body lay on the pavement
like a late night jukebox dance move
stolen from john travolta that i had played out
i was a fat lipped singer slipping through
the comforting verses of your favorite song
but i cant always get what i want
so i strummed your face praying you'd hum
my knees were hurt from rock star slides
and you weren't getting any better

i covered you in a blanket from the trunk
a sheet of 8-track static and lead lines
and i tried to teach you warmth
plucking the strings from your eyes
so i could watch your dreams sell stadium seats
i recited tails of adventure giving you vicarious legs
nervously holding your shaking hands
as you waged war with hurricane hips
and the grace of a diesel truck

news came out of time from slippered women
in red oriental house coats and opera voices
tones equated to the importance
of soft drink decisions
the radio played my pulse and
i came with no sense of pitch
the only help you needed
my eyes fell flat down your neck line
and i followed it losing my balance
losing my voice
forgetting how to sing

p.farris

No comments:

Post a Comment